Vancouver August 2013 – For immediate release
BC Athletics is very pleased to announce the appointment of Richard Lee to the position of Provincial Coach – Endurance. The position will focus on the Long Distance/Marathon Development Pathway with a goal of National and International podium performances. The event distances included in this program range from 5000m to Marathon with consideration given to 3000m and 3000m steeplechase as may be appropriate.
“We are very excited to have Richard on board and for the opportunity provided to BC Athletics through the IPS Provincial Coach Program. The Canadian Sport Institute-Pacific (CSI-Pacific), viaSport and the Government of British Columbia were critical in providing the funding support to make this position possible,” said Brian McCalder, BC Athletics Pres/CEO.
“BC and Canadian distance running has experienced considerable growth, progression & momentum in recent years and the future looks very positive. It’s an exciting time to be involved in the pursuit of high performance endurance athletics. In taking this position of Provincial Coach – Endurance I am looking forward to being able to fully dedicate my coaching skills, expertise & energies to many of BC’s top and emerging athletes in that pursuit. In partnership and with the support of BC Athletics, Cdn Sport Institute-Pacific, viaSport and Government of British Columbia I am confident of significant success on the national and international stages.”
“A focus on the Long Distance Endurance Events was determined to be the best fit for us at this time. Climate, facilities, provincial, national and international level endurance athletes living and training in BC, excellent coaches together with strong middle distance and road running programs provides a solid base to support this initiative. Direct coaching, outreach to identified coaches and athletes and leadership of the BC Endurance/Marathon Development program are key responsibilities of this program. We feel that Richard has the vision, experience and expertise to lead this program and to achieve our goal. We look forward to providing the support and services to assist in making this program a success,” concluded McCalder.
Richard Lee – Coaching Resume overview/current training group:
- Sue Lee – 1983-1992: 1984 Olympic Team – 3000m / 1988 Olympic Team 10,000m
- 2008 to date: Vancouver Area high performance/elite middle distance & long distance athletes.
- Dylan Wykes – 2012 Olympic Marathon – 20th / Best Performance: 2:10:47 2nd fastest ever by a Cdn
- Kelly Wiebe – 2013 Cdn Cross Country Team / 2012 Sun Run 10k Champion
- Luc Bruchet – 2013 National Cross Country Team / 2013 FISU 9th 5000m
- Natasha Wodak – 2013 Cdn Team Track & Cross Country / 2012 & 13 Sun Run 10k Champion
- Sabrina Wilkie – 5k to Half Marathon – Provincial Team member
- Kevin Friesen – 5000m / 10,000m Track & Road – Provincial Team member
- Richard Mosley – Half Marathon and Marathon – Past Cdn Team member
- Dylan Gant – Half Marathon and Marathon – Provincial Team member
Based out of the BC Athletics New Office location, Richard can be reach at:
Fortius Athlete Development Centre
3713 Kensington Avenue
Suite 2001 B Oslo Landing
Burnaby, BC V5B 0A7
Ph. Dir.: 604-259-2834
BC Athletics is the Provincial non-profit amateur sport organization for Track & Field, Road Running, Marathons/Ultras, Cross Country/Trail Running and Race Walking. A Branch member of Athletics Canada, BC Athletics is made up of individual members, member clubs and affiliated organizations. The purpose of the Association is to promote, encourage and develop the widest participation and the highest proficiency in the sport of Athletics.
BC Athletics is financially assisted by:
For more information contact:
Brian McCalder, Pres/CEO