August 14, 2010
Dear CMAA Members and Friends,
Since I became President of the Canadian Masters Athletics Association at the CMAA General Meeting last December, redesigning of CMAA’s website has been an urgent priority for our organization. Our goal was to create a site with more immediate capability of posting results, records, and events, and to continue evolving it based on feedback from all of you, our valued members.
Our vision was to transform our website into an attractive and informative forum with social networking functionality, where Canadian Masters from coast to coast could interact regularly. We set up a hands-on Communications Committee, headed by Mike Sherar, to oversee the project. Barrie and Betty Dargie, Clara Northcott and Doug Smith collaborated with Mike, myself and the CMAA Board to bring the project to life, speedily and effectively.
Welcome to CMAA’s newly re-designed website — www.canadianmasters.ca
• the ability to promptly post results, Enews, and update Canadian records
• a NEWS page (see the 2009 Athletes of the Year and the 2010 inductees into the Canadian Masters Hall of Fame)
• the ability to order Canadian Masters official gear online (click on Gear under the Misc. tab) NOTE: At present, the gear includes attractive technical and comfortable short and long sleeve shirts in 100% polyester eyehole mesh, as well as running caps, also in 100% polyester. This is a cool collection that has been hot since launching at the Canadian Outdoor Championships, and continues to sell well online. Let us know what pieces you would like us to add to the collection.
The CMAA and the Communications committee couldn’t be more pleased to unveil the newly redesigned CMAA website. I think you’ll agree that this is a major milestone for the CMAA. Thus, we wanted to share with you key highlights leading up to the big launch:
• To make the project’s cost and time effective, we partnered with Ontario Masters Athletics to secure a discounted package from Ismarts.
• Because Doug Smith already had all the results, photos, news, etc, and given his stellar web abilities with the OMA site, CMAA’s Communications Committee gave him the task of populating the new site.
• Doug retrieved the latest Canadian records from the Records Directors and collaborated with Diane Palmason, on the uploading of the Hall of Fame pages.
• We are also currently developing a new Rankings site in collaboration with Ontario Masters Athletics, which we look forward to launching in the near future.
The CMAA would like to recognize the contributions of all those who played a big role in helping us make a long time dream a reality. We would also like to acknowledge and thank both Vern Christensen, for managing the former CMAA site since 2001, and Matthew Keaveney, for his recent contribution.
We’re very pleased to invite you all to experience the newly redesigned site and hope that you’ll make it your preferred destination. We encourage you to surf all areas of the site and send us your feedback with recommendations, including your thoughts on what is your preference on links. We look forward to your input and help to make the site bigger and better!
Paul Osland, President, CMAA